After discussing Hindu theology last week, I began to think a little more about the terms “Monism” and “Polytheism”. Monism is basically referring to one god and Polytheism is referring to many gods. Within the context of Hindu theology, we discussed a variety of gods, (polytheism). We learned a new term; Hindu trimurti, which is the idea of having three gods which order the universe: Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva. The creator is Brahma; he has four heads that see all directions, which mean he can see everything, all the time! He also has four hands; which makes working easier and faster. His consort is Saraswati (learning).
The next god is Vishnu; the preserver and the giver of order. This god holds certain criteria including the lotus (happiness and renewal), the conch shell, which resembles a spiral of infinite space, the Chakra (cycles of life & death), and displays open hands (blessing). Vishnu’s consort is Lakshmi which resembles wealth. He also displays several avatars, which is a symbol or character that exemplifies incarnation or revealing, such as compassion, power, Lord Krishna, the Buddha, a tortoise, and a boar.
The last god we discussed was Shiva, the destroyer. This god can be seen displayed as dancing on a dwarf, in a ring fire. We are not sure why the god is displayed this way but we have learned that Shiva represents death and sexuality. Shiva is usually not displayed in temples, but represented with a lingam. Its consort includes Kali; the child is Ganesha.
I really enjoyed learning about the different types of Gods in Hindu theology and Polytheism, meaning “many gods”. If you could be any of the three different gods, which one would you rather be and why would you want to be this god?!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
If I had to choose one of the three gods to be, I would choose to be Shiva. I would want to be Shiva because he had a lot of power and was very respected. He represents death and sexuality. Shiva had a very strong connection with his daughter, and I have a very strong connection with my father. I share that similarity with Shiva, and I would like to think that I would do the same with my kid. Like in the story of Shiva and his daughter, I would be heartbroken if I lost my close friend and child. Therefore, if I had to pick one god I would rather be Shiva because of the close relations.
Amber P
Post a Comment