Last week we discussed the basic concept of Judaism, which includes the four covenants. Growing up, I went to church & Sunday school every week, but I never seemed to really have a good grasp on some of the topics we discussed from the bible in Sunday school. Of course I remember some of them, but as a college student taking this religion course, I wish I would have taken things more seriously and really paid attention to what my Sunday school teacher was saying. With that, I found the four covenants to be interesting because I never really remembered these stories from the Old Testament or Jewish bible; in fact, I didn’t even know that they were interrelated! My lack of knowledge about the bible is sometimes embarrassing, so bear with me. First we learned about the Noachite Covenant. To my surprise, this one was about Noah and his family, to promise never to destroy earth again by floods. The rainbow is his way of reminding others that he will not destroy earth again by floods. The second covenant the Abramic Covenant, promises land and descendants, with Abraham and his wife Sarah. This is a conditional covenant. The Mosaic Covenant, the third covenant deals with Moses and the Israelites. They explained that if God is going to be your God, then you will be his people. The 10 commandments derived from Moses, and he believed that if we follow all these commandments, then God will be our God. The last Covenant is the Davidic Covenant, which came from David and his people. God’s promise was that David’s Line will be on the throne, and his son will build God a temple. This temple becomes The House of David, and rules forever; the Zion becomes the covenant.
I like this first covenant the best, probably because it is the most known and easiest to remember. I learned that the third covenant (mosaic covenant) is where Moses develops the 10 commandments. I never knew that and found it interesting that if God says if we follow all of them that he will be our God no matter what. I found all these covenants very interesting, and hope to continue learning about Judaism
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Amber J
I would have to agree that my background for knowing anything on religion is very little. I was very interested in hearing about the 4 covenants because it made me look at and understand how these all come together. I do agree with Brenna that the 3 covenant where the 10 commandments were created is the most interesting. I am amazed at the Ten Commandments and think that when they say that if we follow these that god with be our father no matter what. My belief in god is much different from others and I’m not sure that if we follow these correctly that god will be there. I think that it takes many more things. I am somewhat confused on the 1st covenant because the promise to not destroy the land by flood. I’m not sure that I believe in this and the way for him showing that it won't happen again is a rainbow but yet when I think of it we see a rainbow after seeing rain. Which rain can cause floods? Maybe I think to far into it but not sure. Great Post and it was really interesting.
Post a Comment